The upsides and downsides of free websites
Obviously I have a bias because if everyone went with a free website well then I wouldn’t have any web work! However, I have tried to be objective and appreciate any comments from those of you who have used and enjoyed a free website experience.
- They are free!
- They can be very quick and easy to set up, even if you have no web skills at all.
- In order to give you that free space on their servers the businesses have to benefit. They can do this by either placing their name on your site or your web address, or place ads, or lock you in to having to upgrade if you want to continue after a certain amount of time.
- You do not own the code and cannot download the files to use somewhere else if you want to move your website.
- Your website is a part of your branding, so what does using a free website say to potential customers?
- A lot of easy-to-design websites are not Search Engine Optimized. Google doesn’t catch the content. This means your site won’t get the chance to rank.
- It’s best to start out right so growth in the future can be built upon and you don’t have to start all over again.